Monday, June 13, 2011

Calvyn Abigayle Clements


Calvyn decided to join our family this weekend. She was born at 7:43 AM on Saturday morning after an all night labor. Lianne went to the pool Friday a little after noon. Shortly after she started having contractions. Naturally, she decided that she needed to bathe the dogs. She texted me at work around 3:30 telling me she was having contractions. She had been having them off and on for the past week, so I didn't think anything of it until I got a text around 4:30 telling me I needed to come home because her contractions were 5 minutes apart, lasting a minute, for the past hour. I scrambled to get everything in order and rushed out the door. We gathered the bags and headed for the hospital.
When we arrived, we were admitted to room 207. The nurse told us she was 90% sure Lianne was in labor and felt so bad that she was in such pain. The doctor arrived a little while later and confirmed that the baby was coming. He said if all went well the baby would arrive around 1 AM.
The contractions continued to come and got stronger and stronger. The anesthesiologist came by and gave Lianne an epidural. The pain quickly subsided. Shortly after, Jill, Eli, and Mallorie came to visit.

While they were there, the nurse decided to give Lianne Pitocin. This caused
her contractions to get a lot worse. Fortunately she didn't feel any of the pain. Unfortunately, though, baby Calvyn didn't like it. At one point, Lianne had a contraction that lasted 6 minutes. Baby's heart beat dropped and the nurses rushed in to help. They repositioned Lianne, but still couldn't get the heart beat back to where it needed to be. One of the nurses gave her a shot to ease the contractions. Lianne had to go on oxygen to help the baby, which she had to stay on for the remainder of the labor.

By that time it was getting pretty late, so Mallorie and Jill decided to head out, but not before waiting for Kyle to arrive with In-N-Out Burger. Poor Lianne was starving, but couldn't have any. I, however, enjoyed one of the best burgers I've ever eaten.

After everyone left, we were able to rest a bit. Lianne didn't really get to sleep, but I was lucky enough to get an hour or two. Morning came and the nurse told us it was time to start pushing. After about 45 minutes of pushing, the nurse had to tell her to stop until the doctor arrived. After he arrived, she pushed through 2 contractions and out popped our daughter's head. The cord was wrapped around her, but not very tightly. The doctor did a great job untangling her and she came out without any more issues.

We spent the next hour recovering, then were transferred to postpartum, where we stayed in room 214. We enjoyed the next few days in the hospital and took Calvyn home on Monday morning. We are so glad to have her home as part of our family. Well, most of us are glad to have her home.

Pippen is great with her; he's very gentle and pretty much leaves her alone. Izzie, on the other hand is terrified of our little girl. When we hold Calvyn and move her close to Izzie, she cowers and backs away. Other than that though, Izzie just leaves Calvyn alone. Who knew our baby could be so scary? Maybe it's the grimace she constantly shows on her face.

I'll upload more images later, but here's one of my favorites:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story of the addition to your family. We can't wait to see her in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lianne she is PERFECT! COngrats! Oh so I found your blog on facebook, I'm glad things are going so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so happy for you both. That's so fun that you get to raise a little girl the same age as Britany. I bet they will be the best of friends. Hope you're doing well. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete